Home arrow Japan Forum
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japan Photos

Want to see more pictures of Japan? See the way people used to live and the way they live now. You can even buy the best of our Japan photos in high resolution. Take a look here for a sample.
TheJapanChannel Photos...

Japan Videos

Check out our great selection of unique Japan videos. See the country from a new perspective and learn about Japanese art, culture and history. See this weeks latest video. Check-it-out!
TheJapanChannel Videos...
Japan Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Experience: Japan (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Experience: Japan
Remixer (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Experience: Japan 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1  
Osu. Remixer desu.

I'm planning on staying in Japan for roughly 4 months (give or take one month) from January 2011 onwards, staying predominantly in Tokyo.

I intend to make it a crash-course in learning and experiencing as much as possible of Japan and the Japanese lifestyle.

I figure the following schedule would be suitable:

1. 2 months in Tokyo (as well as several stop-overs during travels).

2. 2 weeks in Sapporo. (Yay for skiing! Hopefully.)

3. 1 week in Okinawa. (Yay for sunny arvos on the beach.)

4. 2 weeks in Osaka. (Yay for Okonomiyaki!)

5. 2 weeks in the Kansai prefecture (anywhere along that line and the north-western areas of Japan).

6. 2-4 weeks hitting the roads of Japan, driving all over the countryside and staying in classic Japanese inns, enjoying and getting to know their culture. (Maybe even staying with guest families, if I find any.)

Basically, I would like to receive as much input as you guys can spare on towns, areas, restaurants, bars and various other establishments.

Anything you would recommend on any of the 6 points above would be very appreciated.

On another note, I am always looking for 1-2 traveling partners, or simply companions to go out with in any city I will be staying in.

For your information, I am 20 years old, of German nationality, speak English, German and Persian fluently, am very physically fit and practice Muay Thai and Japanese Jiu Jitsu. Enjoy good food and vodka.

I'll appreciate any responses.

Cheers

Remixer

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
petina (Admin)
Admin
graph
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: -583  
Sounds like fun!
What sort of visa will you be using to stay for 4 months??

How is your Japanese conversation and reading ability??

Remixer (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1  
I'll be coming in with my German passport, so I will simply take the 6 month entry permit that comes with entering Japan. Haven't really thought much more on that aspect, to be honest.

My conversation ability is just enough to make my point to people when I need help with something, e.g. finding a specific place, and to take care of the polite stuff (i.e. onegaishimasu; arigatou goseimashita; sumimasen).

Otherwise, I can only really introduce myself as follows:

"Hajimemashte. Ore wa Baka Gaijin desu. Yorushkun onegaishimasu."

My Kanji is pretty much zero right now. I've been told that I should memorize the Kanji for "male" and "female" before I go to Japan, to avoid making offensive mistakes.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Remixer

petina (Admin)
Admin
graph
Germans get 6 months??!!!

Most of the rest of the world get 3 month permits at a time...

You plan to hire a car?
How are you planning to navigate around?

Remixer (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1  
Ah... I was wrong. My memory has failed me.

Here's the visa I will get:

"6 months or less: (An extendable 3-month visa is usually issued on arrival, for further details see Immigration Offices).

Austria, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Switzerland, UK."

Which is fine as well. When the 3 months are up, I can simply renew it and get another 3 months.

It seems the countries listed above are the only ones that can renew the visa. All other countries get 3 months and that's it.

I plan on using public transport while in Tokyo, as I've been told quite a lot now, that Tokyo is a city much better enjoyed as a pedestrian.

For all other places and plans, I intend to rent myself a comfortable car with an in-built GPS. I have an International Driving permit and will be 21 (and turn 22 midway) during my stay.

I hope the Americans haven't ruined things for all foreigners.

Though, I have the impression the Japanese people are slightly infatuated with Germany and actually respect it much more than, say, the US. Hopefully that will make things easier for me when I state that I'm a "Deutz".

In terms of navigating around. Well, that depends on what I want to do and where I want to go. It's also for that purpose that I would prefer to find a traveling partner fluent in Japanese.

I heard the Japanese tend to avoid being approachable to foreigners. That would certainly make it hard for me to find my way around.

Remixer

petina (Admin)
Admin
graph
That sounds like it

Make sure you renew it BEFORE the 3 months is up

You will need to be able to read and write Japanese to use your car navi...
that is one reason I asked about language..
very very difficult to get around Japan by car without navi and/or good reading skills....
I hope you bring lots of cash too.. highways are super expensive now (as is fuel)...

Sounds like you are in for an exciting time!

Go to top Post Reply