Home arrow Japan Forum
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japan Photos

Want to see more pictures of Japan? See the way people used to live and the way they live now. You can even buy the best of our Japan photos in high resolution. Take a look here for a sample.
TheJapanChannel Photos...

Japan Videos

Check out our great selection of unique Japan videos. See the country from a new perspective and learn about Japanese art, culture and history. See this weeks latest video. Check-it-out!
TheJapanChannel Videos...
Japan Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Japanese & Wasabi (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Japanese & Wasabi
AzoraNHK (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Japanese & Wasabi 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: -1  
I think is topic can be raise in youtube video response?

POV: In these modern society nowadays, young teenagers, most of them, dislike to eat wasabi. However, there are some who still like it or eat it. Main reason was unknown. Any feedback?

I was informed that the older generation or the Gen-X generation (1979-1990) do still like wasabi.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Cravez (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Japanese & Wasabi 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 17  
AzoraNHK wrote:
QUOTE:
I think is topic can be raise in youtube video response?

POV: In these modern society nowadays, young teenagers, most of them, dislike to eat wasabi. However, there are some who still like it or eat it. Main reason was unknown. Any feedback?

I was informed that the older generation or the Gen-X generation (1979-1990) do still like wasabi.

I would say it comes down to Individual taste or Personal preference. I would say differences in new foods & diets might be a contributing factor. Older generations tend to stick with more traditional foods rather than newer ones (be it native or foreign).

Wasabi itself, it's an acquired taste which you will either hate or love. Not everyone likes spices in their foods. I don't, particularly, but I have a acquired fondness of Wasabi. Although I say that, I only like it in small doses, too much Wasabi for me ruins the food that accompanies it.

Strength is the product of struggle, you must do what others don't to achieve what others won't
samurai8 (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
. 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 4  

Last Edit: 2012/02/03 17:24 By samurai8.

Meaning of life is simply,"now" Not worry about past you cannot change it,Not worry about future it will simply arrive,Do very best for yourself,also all living creatures,
"Now" in this moment,this is all we have,Qunli Bond
AzoraNHK (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Japanese & Wasabi 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -1  
thank both of you for your responses. ii too have the same opinion with both of you.

am expectin' if ii could get different 'extra-ordinary' feedback

Creatto_Chan (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Japanese & Wasabi 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1  
This is my first posting and two-cents on this topic.

I believe that one of the main reasons why Wasabi is loosing popularity among the younger generations, is the fact that Wasabi as we know it around the world and that is widely used in Japanese restaurants doesnt posses the quality that Wasabi used to have before.

95% of the Wasabi consumed now-a-days is actually colored horse radish, and real Wasabi is actually very difficult to find.

I have had the opportunity to taste real wasabi, and I believe that the flavor is different compliments food better than the regular cheap versions of "wasabi" sold all over the world.

As a rule of thumb, if they squeeze the wasabi next to your plate without any type of cover, it is not real wasabi. Real wasabi looses its spicy flavor after 20 minutes of being exposed to open air (reason why traditional Sushi or maki encloses the wasabi inside the rice.

I hope this helped! ^__________^

Melonbar (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Japanese & Wasabi 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
I guess I would be considered as part of the younger generation (17?) and I love wasabi! I read somewhere that it's rude to the sushi chef if you use too much wasabi, but I love the burn of it when I use a giant glob. 8D

Go to top Post Reply