Home arrow Japan Forum
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japan Photos

Want to see more pictures of Japan? See the way people used to live and the way they live now. You can even buy the best of our Japan photos in high resolution. Take a look here for a sample.
TheJapanChannel Photos...

Japan Videos

Check out our great selection of unique Japan videos. See the country from a new perspective and learn about Japanese art, culture and history. See this weeks latest video. Check-it-out!
TheJapanChannel Videos...
Japan Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Obtaining a visa to teach english in japan. (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Obtaining a visa to teach english in japan.
racilian (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Obtaining a visa to teach english in japan. 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Hi everyone. I am new to the forums here. I was wondering if anyone had any information that could help me. I have wanted to teach english in japan for many years now but haven't followed through on it because of my girlfriend who was still in college and I didn't want to leave her. Now however she wants to do the same and teach english in japan as well. she is finishing up her bachelor's degree while I myself only have an associates degree. I know that the major majority of schools prefer a bachelor's degree as well as a tefl or other certification. I have no problem doing the certification as I plan on doing so but I have heard recently that you do in fact NEED a bachelor's degree to obtain a working visa to teach english in japan. I previously had not heard this. Can anyone provide me with any information or knowledge they have on this? It would be much appreciated. Thank you all so much for your time and nice meeting everyone!

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
petina (Admin)
Admin
graph
Re:Obtaining a visa to teach english in japan. 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: -583  
Yes.
You will see it has been extensively discussed on this forum.

To get a visa to teach English in Japan you will need a minimum of a 3 year bachelor degree in any discipline.

MonkeyBoy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Obtaining a visa to teach english in japan. 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Actually, the degree can be 3 years or 4 years or however long it took you. Visa requirements just say college degree or equivalent.

And, even if you don't have a college degree, you can still get a work visa as long as you can prove 3 or more years of related work experience.

Other ways to teach in Japan involve other types of visas.

Dependent visa
Cultural activities visa
Student visa
Spousal visa
Working holiday visa

The first 3 need special permission from immigration and are good for only part-time work.
The other 2 allow FT work.
The last one is for certain nationalities only.

Go to top Post Reply