Home arrow Japan Forum
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japan Photos

Want to see more pictures of Japan? See the way people used to live and the way they live now. You can even buy the best of our Japan photos in high resolution. Take a look here for a sample.
TheJapanChannel Photos...

Japan Videos

Check out our great selection of unique Japan videos. See the country from a new perspective and learn about Japanese art, culture and history. See this weeks latest video. Check-it-out!
TheJapanChannel Videos...
Japan Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare
Tomasu (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Hello, everyone! : )

My name is Thomas and I'd like your help if possible. I feel almost rude asking such amatuerish questions, but there is such a wealth of information on this fine forum I am almost sure it would take me quite a bit of time to study it all. I hope you will entertain my questions even if you've heard it all a thousand times before. ; )

I am about to finish my second year of college as a biology major. While I enjoy science (my real passion is zoology and to get even more specific, herpatology) I don't think it's what I want to do as a career, at least not right away.

I've visited Japan twice before in my life (vacations) and have a strong admiration of the people and culture. Over the past few years and of course charged by the recent disaster, I have become sincerely interested in the idea of teaching english in Japan, and would like any and all advice I can get on the subject. Not to toot my own horn, but I have a above-average handle on the language (and pronunciation, which I'm sure dominates any class) as a native speaker, but in my teen years my family worked for a local college and housed several foreign students - most of which were Japanese or Korean. I really enjoyed accompanying them around town as the guide/translator and trying to crack that "R/L" or "V/B" verbal issue. So, chances are I won't be thrown off by the confusion of strong accents ; )

My question is since I have approximately two years until I recieve my bachelors in science, what should I do to prepare and or stack the deck in my favor when applying for a job such as this? General guidance like 'learn Japanese' is welcome - I know only the most rudimentary Japanese - things like Hello, goodbye, I'm sorry (always handy, I've learned) and where is _____, not that I'd really do all that well recieving an answer. <: ) - but I'd also appreciate little things, like apply often versus just once, or take X class during school because they look for this type of experience, etc.

Again, if all this comes off as having obvious answers, I apologize and hope you will point me to where they've been covered. Thank you in advance for any help you might provide,

Thomas

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Cravez (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 17  
Hello and Welcome

Well you have established that you are enthusiastic and have also had experience in teaching (in a in-direct manner), which will go well when applying and in an Interview.

Possibly look into doing a TEFL or similar English program? While although you will have your degree, having a TEFL cert or similar will be advantageous. It shows that you have at least learned or experienced teaching English. Although applying for the JET program a TEFL cert or similar isn't actually needed (but it's still advantageous).

Iv heard, although speculation, from someone I know that having a drivers licence is also good to have. It shows that you can be flexible or being able to move around freely and teach in multiple schools. Also if there is a job in a school in an area where there is little public transport, it shows you can travel.

Again, you have expressed interest in the culture which is also good. They want to know that you are genuinely interested in Japanese Culture & language as a whole so you can better experience your work and also provide a better work ethic for your students.

I can't really provide much more info myself, I don't have the experience in doing any of it myself. Just hear say from friends and from looking up information. I think trying to get as much experience (perhaps teaching private English lessons?), you may be able to get references from doing so as well which always aid an application.

Strength is the product of struggle, you must do what others don't to achieve what others won't
Tomasu (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Cravez, thank you so much for your insightful reply. : ) There were a number of things you mentioned that I hadn't even thought of which is just what I was hoping for.

I distinctly recall the TOEFL test - usually pronounce "Tow-fool" by the students who lived in my home ;P - and how rigorously they tried to prepare for it. As I have two years before I'd be able to apply for a job, I suppose I could certainly stand to look into what it takes to certify. Who knows - being in southern Florida there is a large spanish-speaking community, so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I suppose the drivers license will have to wait until I get there - I have a license for the states, but I'm sure they'd want to evaluate my skills (and sign-reading abilities) for themselves. XD

Thomas

Cravez (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 17  
Tomasu wrote:
QUOTE:
I suppose the drivers license will have to wait until I get there - I have a license for the states, but I'm sure they'd want to evaluate my skills (and sign-reading abilities) for themselves. XD

Thomas

As long as you have a License it will be grand ( I think an A1 or A2 on your License? I'm not sure myself, I dont Drive ). When I was there with my friends, one of them had a full drivers License and we were able to rent a car and drive around with no problems

Strength is the product of struggle, you must do what others don't to achieve what others won't
Tomasu (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Help A Would-be English Teacher Prepare 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
That's surprising to hear! I couldn't imagine driving in Japan right off the bat - I'd have to do it babysteps or risk getting overwhelmed, you know?

When I was in the Army (I'm not an old-timer, I was only in for the the Iraq/Afghanistan war period ; ) ) I would see folks try to do everything at once - special schools, points to raise their rank, added responcibilities just to look good, etc - and they'd get burned out before they even got to their desired place or bitter over not getting there the first time around. So, I at least learned that lesson while I was there.

Well, that and being able to adapt to rules I don't like and accept instructions I don't like - which will come in handy anywhere, I imagine. XD

Thomas

Go to top Post Reply