Home arrow Japan Forum
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japan Photos

Want to see more pictures of Japan? See the way people used to live and the way they live now. You can even buy the best of our Japan photos in high resolution. Take a look here for a sample.
TheJapanChannel Photos...

Japan Videos

Check out our great selection of unique Japan videos. See the country from a new perspective and learn about Japanese art, culture and history. See this weeks latest video. Check-it-out!
TheJapanChannel Videos...
Japan Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Experience: Japan (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Experience: Japan
Remixer (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1  
Hm...

You see, I was hoping the Navigation System in the cars would have a language option installed, so that I could get the Car Rental company to change it for me.

There goes that plan.

I don't mind. When I go to Japan, I'll simply bring a road map of Japan with me.

And to be fully honest, I'm not against the prospect of getting lost when driving. It would make for a great deal of excitement and an authentic experience.

Thinking about it, that is what I'll likely end up doing anyway. I find nothing better than stumbling over things out of sheer chance.

Money won't be a problem whatsoever. I have enough of it.

Yeah, it will be an exciting time. If not, I'll be enjoying Kare Udon and be happy anyway.

Remixer

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
petina (Admin)
Admin
graph
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: -583  
It is great that you are cool with getting lost because, in the rural areas, the street signs are usually just in Japanese
And stopping to ask for directions wont help because you wont understand the answers...
sounds like a REAL adventure!!

Cravez (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 17  
I know this thread is a tiiiny bit old, but to chime in on the GPS and Navi. While me and my friends stayed in Takayama, we rented a car from the local Toyota rent-a-car. One of the employees spoke English and offered to set up our Navi system for English and even programmed our destination.

We were heading to Ogimachi Village in Shirakawa-go: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5951.html and got there no problems (it was a 90 minute drive or so?). I guess it depends which place you go to and whether the staff may be able to help you.

Strength is the product of struggle, you must do what others don't to achieve what others won't
Remixer (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Experience: Japan 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 1  
Cheers for the info on that, Cravez.

I'll be sure to ask staff whether they can set the GPS, otherwise I'll just go ahead with getting lost.

Also, that Ogimachi Village is quite beatiful. I'm sure it would be a stunning sight when it's covered in snow!

Remixer

Go to top Post Reply