Home arrow Japan Forum
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japan Photos

Want to see more pictures of Japan? See the way people used to live and the way they live now. You can even buy the best of our Japan photos in high resolution. Take a look here for a sample.
TheJapanChannel Photos...

Japan Videos

Check out our great selection of unique Japan videos. See the country from a new perspective and learn about Japanese art, culture and history. See this weeks latest video. Check-it-out!
TheJapanChannel Videos...
Japan Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: .
Darian (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Religion And Atheism! 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2  
Buddism is strong in abiding to cultural norms and bettering one self ( without the guilt trip, it is simply something one does for oneself ) while shintoism is very animistic.

(as faar i understand and say here in a very condensed way, in detail things are much more complicated offcourse)

But i think with the two together you get an mix that in average has better results compared to the monotheistic religions.

Not perfect, there was WW2 and so on, but for my opinion that was more an political thing, not religious motivated.

So...

If everything you do falls back onto yourself not because an god punishes you but simply because your action have consequences (buddism) and everything has an spiritual worth (shintuism) i think you have an mixture that works out better than the western desert religions.

For my feeling Japan has about the same idea as Iceland, people there asked who they belief in answered in the majority "Myself"

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
miko7410 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Religion And Atheism! 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 8  
The MOST IMPORTANT thing IS TO BE A GOOD, GENEROUS, BRAVE AND LOVE GIVING PERSON. We all make mistakes but we can always ask for forgiveness and say that we're sorry. It's important what you carry in your heart not what religion you have, besides WE'RE ALL EQUAL, we're all human-beings.
God bless you all!

samurai8 (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
. 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 4  

Last Edit: 2012/02/03 16:26 By samurai8.

Meaning of life is simply,"now" Not worry about past you cannot change it,Not worry about future it will simply arrive,Do very best for yourself,also all living creatures,
"Now" in this moment,this is all we have,Qunli Bond
Darian (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Religion And Atheism! 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2  
To Miko
I think there is one big difference between asian spirituality and western one.
The concept of god(s)
In asian spirituality actions do have consequences but on you, while in western spirituality there is a second player, one or more gods who are interefering.
Especially animism has celestial players but they are not as omnipotent as the western idea of the same.
So in asian cultures it is more an "natural law" that if you do bad things it comes back to yourself, there is not as much an personified force behind it.

For my opinion better in the long run, it does not so much allow religious leaders to go on powertrips as in the west.

Darian (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Religion And Atheism! 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2  
To Samurai
It is one of my issues with most western religions, the guilt trip thing.
Spirituality should come from within, not from the feeling one should subscribe to an concept for celestial scout badges...
It is only right if you do it to do "the right thing after meditating about the question".
I can not believe into some god who loves me but sends me to hell if i do not join a certain club.
meh.

samurai8 (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
. 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 4  

Last Edit: 2012/02/03 16:26 By samurai8.

Meaning of life is simply,"now" Not worry about past you cannot change it,Not worry about future it will simply arrive,Do very best for yourself,also all living creatures,
"Now" in this moment,this is all we have,Qunli Bond
Go to top Post Reply